Last month we discussed The Boy Next Door as part of our Meg Cabot Read-Along leading up to the publication of Size 12 and Ready to Rock, the latest book in the Heather Wells series, on sale July 10th. Today, the Read-Along continues with our discussion of Queen of Babble!
Lizzie Nichols has a problem: she can't keep anything to herself. And when she opens her big mouth on a trip to London, her good intentions get her long-distance beau, Andrew, in major hot water. Now she's stuck in England with no boyfriend and no place to stay until the departure date on her nonrefundable airline ticket. Fortunately, Lizzie's best friend and college roommate, Shari, is spending her summer catering weddings in a sixteenth-century château in southern France. Who cares if Lizzie's never traveled alone in her life and only speaks rudimentary French? She's off to Souillac to lend a helping hand!
One glimpse of gorgeous Château Mirac—and of gorgeous Luke, the son of the château's owner—and Lizzie's smitten. But thanks to her chronic inability to keep a secret, before the first cork has been popped Luke hates her, the bride is in tears, and Château Mirac is on the road to becoming a lipo-recovery spa. Add to that the arrival of ex-beau Andrew, who's looking for "closure" (or at least a loan), and everything—including Lizzie's shot at true love—is in la toilette. . . unless she can figure out some way to use her big mouth to save the day.
Questions for Discussion
1. Lizzie tends to get herself into trouble because she can’t keep her mouth shut. I found this personality trait completely endearing and often, quite hilarious. What did you think was the funniest situation in the book when she couldn’t keep a secret? Have you ever found yourself in a similar situation?
2. Lizzie’s visit with Andy in England does not go according to plan. Were you surprised he wasn’t what she expected? Do you think Lizzie was too easy on him in the end?
3. How did you like the chapter openings from Lizzie’s senior thesis on the history of fashion? Did you learn anything new about fashion from them?
4. What did you think of Dominique’s behavior? What do you hope happens next for her?
5. Do you think Luke and Lizzie are a good match? Do you see them staying together when they move to New York in the fall?
6. How do you think Lizzie changed over the course of the book?
7. How did you like Queen of Babble compared to The Boy Next Door? Did you relate more to Mel or to Lizzie?
Join us on Tuesday, July 3rd when we'll discuss the next book in the MEG-nificent Meg Cabot Read-Along, and the first title in the beloved Heather Wells series, Size 12 is Not Fat! The first 5 people who comment here with answers to our discussion will win a copy of Size 12 is Not Fat!
It's MEG-nificent! The Meg Cabot Read-Along:
July 3rd - Size 12 is Not Fat discussion on Book Club Girl
July 10th - Size 12 and Ready to Rock goes on sale
July 31st - Size 12 and Ready to Rock discussion on Book Club Girl and Book Club Girl on Air show with Meg Cabot at 7 pm ET
Follow the Read-Along on Twitter at the hashtag #megreadalong, and become a fan of Meg Cabot on Facebook.