On the off chance that you haven't heard from me via Facebook, Twitter or Maud L, or happen to be a Betsy-Tacy fan I have not yet found and stalked on numerous social media, I wanted to announce here that the week of 9/28, the week the reissued high school Betsy-Tacy books go on sale is also, officially, BETSY-TACY CONVERT WEEK!
What is this you ask? Well, inspired by the passion that so many Betsy-Tacy fans have for the series (I mean, seriously, more than 200 of us traveled to Mankato, MN for the weekend to visit the houses, dress up in character and play games!), I decided we should put it to work, so to speak, and deploy a BT Army of sorts to convert readers everywhere into Betsy-Tacy fans.
Here's how it will work.
1) You sign up by commenting to this post that you want to find and convert someone into a Betsy-Tacy fan (
comment by end of day Friday Aug 28th -- DEADLINE EXTENDED TO FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 4th!).
2) We'll split everyone into Deep Valley High School's rival student societies: Zetamathians and Philomathians, to tap into your competitive natures
3) We will send everyone who signs up a copy of Heaven to Betsy/Betsy in Spite of Herself
4) You will then give that copy away to someone who doesn't know about the series who should - ideally a young girl who will grow up with the series, but it can be a mom, an aunt, or anyone really!
5) You post a comment here about who you gave it to, what you said, what they said, etc. and identify yourself as a Zet or a Philo (we'll let you know which one you are when you get the book)
I'll keep a sticky post at the top of Book Club Girl that entire week (or two) so that all the comments will be front and center and the first thing people see.
6) If you have other online platforms you ALSO:
- Tell your convert story on Facebook, and share it with the Betsy-Tacy Groups on Facebook
- Tweet your story
- Put it on Flickr
- Make a video and we'll help you put it on YouTube
- Blog about it on your blog
- The sky's the limit!
7) At the end of the conversion week, or two weeks, we'll tally how many Zets made converts and how many Philos made converts (I'll tally from commnts made here on BCG since it may be hard for me to find links to everything online).
8) The winning society will get a paver stone in their name, ala "For the Zetamathians Who Converted the Most Betsy-Tacy Fans Fall 2009" placed outside of Maud Hart Lovelace's childhood home in Mankato, MN
So what do you think? Can we all pretend that the on-sale week is like the Social Room the first week of school at Deep Valley High? Go up to the new kids and convert them! The most orange or blue bows at the end of the week win!